17 Jan ALL DIGITAL welcomes the Digital Education Action Plan
17 Jan, 2018
On 17 January 2018, in a press conference Commissioner Navracsics announced a package of new policy initiatives, with a focus on enhancing digital skills and key competences.
The package includes:
- An updated recommendation on key competences
- A Digital Education Action Plan
- A Council Recommendation on Common Values, Inclusive Learning and the European dimension of teaching.
ALL DIGITAL welcomes the Digital Education Action plan, which puts emphasis on:
- Making better use of digital technologies for teaching and learning
This priority is on schools and VET education and aims to improve the infrastructure and teachers’ capacities.
- Developing relevant digital skills and competences for digital transformation
We are proud to say that ALL DIGITAL’s proposal for a EU-wide awareness-raising campaign on media literacy has been taken on board as one of the actions to achieve this priority. This is key to ensure that all European citizens understand the extent to which digital technologies are influencing their lives and acquire the necessary skills to function in the digital world.
We would continue to work actively and push for:
– a more comprehensive approach to cover all digital skills needed for active economic, social and civic participation, well beyond online safety, cyber hygiene and media literacy
– a common language and understanding of digital skills based on the European Digital Competence Framework for Citizens
– targeted efforts for digitally excluded groups, such as early school leavers, people from socially or economically disadvantaged backgrounds, long-term unemployed, people with disabilities, elderly people
– a lifelong learning approach to digital skills, opportunities for continuous update of skills beyond the confines of the school or university.
- Improving education systems through better data analysis and foresight
This priority is about data collection and analysis on the use of ICT in education, using learning analytics and AI to better use the data available.
ALL DIGITAL is ready to contribute actively to the successful implementation of the measures that are relevant for us and our member organisations.
The Commission press release can be found here. Links to all related documents are available at the end of the press release.